Wednesday, August 5, 2009

"I'll be outside in the garden."

This is what Jeff said as I heard footsteps through the living room and the back door close. I had just gotten home from work a few minutes earlier and was putting away my bags and picking up the kitchen. A couple minutes later, I decide to walk around the counter to play with Serif. As I face the living room I see Serif standing at the ottoman, just as you see in the above photo. I think to myself, 'Why in the world would Jeff leave him standing up by himself like this?'. I got a little upset about it as I tried to figure it out, but of course had to grab the camera and take pictures since he was doing so well at it. Up to this point we would always stand right beside him when he wanted to stand like this. (He isn't too gracious with his falls and tends to stiffen up like a can of starch on a freshly ironed shirt.) As I made my way to the couch, continuing to take photos of course, Jeff comes in the back door and says, 'Look at you! Are you standing up buddy?'. I ask him, 'Did you leave him like this?'. With a puzzled look on his face, he says to me, 'No.' I look at him as my eyes get big and say, 'Oh my gosh he just pulled up and did this on his own and we missed it!'.

All of this newness at once, can I stand it?


P.S. Serif is always wanting the controller. It's the one 'toy' he never gets to play with, but always wants. I guess that gave him extra boost to get up there.

1 comment:

Lila said...

i KNOW! i felt your pain on the moment you both realized you missed that act but i'm sure you've witnessed it many times since! ;) evan (and possibly all babies) is not allowed the remote either but it's his most desired object. today mike and i were preparing dinner for all of us while evan was free to roam in his walker. i came in to check on him and he had somehow found the remote and had it where else, in his mouth! ;) little stinkers. lastly... DITTO on it's hard to keep up with all the changes they are going through. the most hilarious is evans 'tantrums' when you take something from him. the least hilarious is how he REFUSES to go to sleep easily at naps or bedtime, instead preferring to laugh and talk and stand and JUMP like a maniac for 30 min. tonight i put him to bed at 830-845 (late!), mildly awake, which is normal. at 945pm! i go in his room and say, 'evan, it is time to go to sleep! you need to close your eyes and be quiet." i layed him on his pillow, covered him up, gave him his plug and played the glowworm as i said good night and shut his door. NOT a PEEP since!! wierdest baby!!!! ;D wouldn't trade him of course. lol. sorry for the novel but knew you'd appreciate it. he he he.