Monday, September 21, 2009

2 Things

There are only 2 things I remember asking for growing up and those were my mother's wedding ring and this stereo.I got my mom's ring 10 years ago when she passed away (way too soon - I could have waiting MUCH longer for that). Then my dad brought me this stereo last year when he was re-situating the house. He just decided it was time to pass it down to me. It's a piece that he bought when he was stationed in Germany in the 1960's. It's the one piece that he's managed to hang on to over the years.

I've always LOVED this peice of furniture. My sister, brother and I would play so many records (& 8-track tapes) from this thing. We'd sit for hours with this being center of our entertainment. Even growing up, I admired the look of this peice and how cool it always looked to me. There's something about the 1930's to 1960's era that is just inherent in me. I often say I was born a little late for my time. It's all worked out though of course.

I caught Serif finding interest in the stereo just this past week. It's amazing how much I feel inside when I see him over there playing with it. It's just weird that that's my son over there playing with something that I've always admired so much. I can't look at this stereo without the recollection of all the times we'd sit there and play with it. My head just spins with all the thoughts and memories this thing holds for me.
Serif: 10 months, Stereo: 50+ years

Thank you Dad for remembering me with this piece of furniture. I will always take good care of it and will treasure it a lifetime! Maybe one day Serif will get to take it with him. How cool that would be if he could write about it as I have. I'm sure we'll build many more memories with it . . . together. I love you too!

2 comments:

Lila said...

your dad will be so proud!!! i love it and feel the same as you about stuff i've grown up around. what a proud moment for momma. thanks for the share. ;)

e, m and e j said...

oh, michelle! such a sweet story about the stereo! (oops, too many s's!!) its amazing how something can be so precious to us, and how wonderful it feels to share it with our children! thank you so much for capturing this experience so beautifully! i know your mom would be so happy to see serif enjoying what you (& your siblings) enjoyed so much too. its great that your dad gets to see it too!
have i mentioned lately that i miss you all?
loveu!!
m